- Total excess mortality for the month of July 2022 is estimated at 16% (+2,600 deaths), relative to expected mortality at pre-pandemic levels.
- Total excess mortality for the first seven months of 2022 is 14% (+13,700 deaths).
- Around half of the excess mortality for the first seven months of 2022 is due to COVID-19 (+7,100 deaths) with remaining excess of +6,600 due to the remaining causes.
- October 2022 has the lowest COVID-19 surveillance deaths of any month in 2022.
- We estimate that COVID-19 deaths will result in excess mortality of around 6% (+2,800) for August to October 2022, with overall excess mortality likely to be higher than this.
- We continue to expect that COVID-19 will be the third leading cause of death in Australia in 2022.
Author(s): COVID-19 MORTALITY WORKING GROUP
Publication Date: 3 Nov 2022
Publication Site: Actuaries Digital